- Customers experiencing fewer offloads: Railcar offloads cut in half in the first three months of 2017, compared to the same period last year.
- Railcar "Get Well Plan" seeing results: Propulsion-related delays down 39% and door-related delays down 16% in the first three months of 2017, compared to the same period last year.
- Out with the old: 70% of the 1000-series railcars and 46% of the 4000-series railcars removed from passenger service to date.
- In with the new: 39 new 7000-series trains in service at the end of March 2017 - now accounting for 1/3 of all Metro trains during rush hour.
- Fiscal Year 2018 Budget approved: A balanced budget for FY18 required shared sacrifice by regional funders, Metro employees and management, and customers.
- Buses being equipped with new safety feature: New flashing amber safety lights are being mounted on the front and back of Metrobuses to catch the attention of pedestrians and prevent rear collisions.
WI-FI and Cellular Service
- New underground cell phone service available: Cell phone coverage in Metro's underground tunnels has expanded to the Red line between Glenmont and Silver Spring. This is part of an ongoing project to bring underground cell service system wide.
- Station WI-FI program expanding: Metro will expand WI-FI service in underground stations from the current 6 locations to 30 by the end of 2017. All remaining underground stations will have WI-FI available in the first half of 2018.
- Escalator performance continues at six-year high: System wide, escalator performance averaged 95% for the first three months of 2017 - the highest in more than six years.