Art in Transit
The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) Art in Transit Program incorporates visual and performing arts into the Metrorail system to enhance the experience of public transit riders. The Art in Transit Program works with visual and performing artists, other arts professionals, architects, engineers, community representatives, jurisdictional arts councils, and the WMATA Board of Directors to develop projects and performances that reflect the spirit and vitality of communities served by Metro.
The Art in Transit Program:
- Utilizes the WMATA transit environment as a place where customers and the public can enjoy the arts as a regular part of their daily lives.
- Contributes to the reputation of the region as a place where art abounds, and where the artistic interests of its communities are recognized, valued and celebrated.
- Encourages public-private partnerships to support art projects that may not be achieved independently.
- Mitigates the impact of construction on surrounding communities by incorporating visual artwork into the preparation and building phases of new transit projects.
- Increases enthusiasm and support of WMATA and its interest in serving the public.
All images contained on this website have been reproduced with the knowledge and prior consent of the artists presented and no responsibility is accepted by Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority for any infringement of copyright or otherwise, arising from the contents of this website.