Metro's Limited English Proficiency Policy Statement
The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (Metro) is committed to ensuring that no person is excluded from participation in or denied the benefits of its services on the basis of race, color or national origin, as provided by Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended. More information on Metro's Title VI obligations can be found in Metro's Civil Rights - Title VI statement.
Individuals who have a limited ability to read, write, speak or understand English are categorized as Limited English Proficient (LEP). Recipients of funding from the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) must take reasonable steps to ensure meaningful access to the benefits, services, information, and other important portions of their programs and activities for individuals who are LEP. Metro supports the goals of the Department of Transportation - FTA Guidance and has developed a Language Assistance Plan .
Upon request, we provide language assistance free of charge to help LEP persons ride Metrobus, Metrorail, and MetroAccess. Interpretation services are provided for over 100 languages and are available by calling Metro's Office of Customer Information at 202-637-7000 (TTY 202-638-3780). Press 1 for Spanish translation or press 88 and then press 5 for all other languages.
Customer service hours are:
- Monday -- Friday: 6 am - 8:30 pm
- Saturday & Sunday: 7 am - 8:30 pm
Resources Available in Multiple Languages
- The Metro Visitor's Kit is the definitive guide for help in using Metro to get around the Washington, DC metropolitan area and is translated into multiple languages.
- All Metrobus timetables are produced in an English/Spanish bilingual version.
- The Metro website can be automatically translated into a number of different languages by selecting your preference from the "Languages" dropdown menu located on every page.
For further information on Metro's language assistance plan, please contact:
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority
Office of Equal Employment Opportunity
Language Coordinator, 7G
600 5th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001