Construction Updates: New Carrollton Joint Development
Advisory Effective: 7/1/19 - 12/30/21
Metro and its developer are transforming the New Carrollton Metrorail Station into a first-class, multi-modal and mixed-use development, with entertainment, residential, retail and commercial office space. The plan includes an urbanized town center and walkable community, connected by one of the region’s largest transit hubs with access to Metro, Amtrak, MARC, Greyhound and the future MDOT MTA Purple Line.
Construction is currently underway on a new multi-family building and the area is also home to Kaiser-Permanente, U.S. Internal Revenue Service, 2U, and the Maryland Department of House and Community Development.
HighlightsPhase 2 Joint Development
- Temporary pedestrian and traffic detours may be in place from construction of WMATA’s new Maryland office building
- Effective April 2021 for approximately three weeks: approximately 20 parking spaces in Park & Ride Lot 4 will be unavailable for customers, due to MDOT MTA Purple Line construction.
- Updated June 2021: Work is expected to continue through June 30, 2021.
- Updated July 2021: Work is expected to continue through July 23, 2021.
- Customers may still enter/exit the Park & Ride Lot 4 with no disruption from construction activity.
For your safety please follow all construction notices and signs.
This advisory will be updated as additional information becomes available.
Project Information and Customer Impacts
Phase 2 Joint Development
MDOT MTA Purple Line construction – Park & Ride Lot 4 Impacts
As of fall 2019, 75 percent of the New Carrollton Park & Ride Lot 4 has been temporarily closed. Construction work related to the MDOT MTA Purple Line will occur sporadically and customers will be notified of any impacts.
Future MDOT MTA Purple Line construction phases on the west side of the station will include additional impacts to Park & Ride Lot 4, the bus loop, the Kiss & Ride Lot, and other pedestrian detours along Ellin Road. Look for posted signs prior to the start of the next phase.
Construction Map – New Carrollton