Construction Updates: New Carrollton Joint Development
Advisory Effective: 7/1/19 - 6/30/21
Metro and its developer are transforming the New Carrollton Metrorail Station into a first-class, multi-modal and mixed-use development, with entertainment, residential, retail and commercial office space. The plan includes an urbanized town center and walkable community, connected by one of the region’s largest transit hubs with access to Metro, Amtrak, MARC, Greyhound and the future MDOT MTA Purple Line.
Construction is currently underway on a new multi-family building and the area is also home to Kaiser-Permanente, U.S. Internal Revenue Service, 2U, and the Maryland Department of House and Community Development.
- Park & Ride Lot 2 will permanently close, effective November 23, 2020.
- Temporary pedestrian and traffic impacts on southside access road due to multi-family residential construction between July 2019 through March 2021.
- Temporary closure of approximately 75 percent of Park & Ride Lot 4 due to MTA MDOT Purple Line construction.
For your safety please follow all construction notices and signs.
This advisory will be updated as additional information becomes available.
Project Information and Customer Impacts
Phase 2 Joint Development
Beginning on or about November 23, 2020, construction will begin on Phase 2 of the New Carrollton Joint Development Project. The multi-phase project includes Metro’s new Maryland office building which is expected to break ground this fall, with completion by early 2023.
Due to construction, Metro’s Park & Ride Lot 2 will permanently close.
Multi-Family Residential Construction Project
Beginning July 8, 2019 through March 2021, the southside access roads of New Carrollton Metrorail Station will be utilized by construction vehicles to build a new 285 unit multi-family building.
- During construction of this residential building there will be temporary pedestrian and traffic impacts, including partial lane, sidewalk, and parking meter closures.
- Parking spaces along the construction zone will be temporarily closed as shown on the map below.
- Pedestrians should use the access routes shown on the map diagram and stay clear of construction areas.
- For your safety, stay clear of the construction areas and follow all posted signs.
Details of this joint development project are available in the Staff Report: Proposed changes to WMATA facilities at New Carrollton Metrorail Station
MDOT MTA Purple Line construction
As of Monday, December 2, 2019, 75 percent of the New Carrollton Park & Ride Lot 4 will temporarily close.
Daily parking spaces will be very limited:
- Reserved parking spaces will be relocated to the south end of the lot.
- Customers should consider other parking options including:
- Metro Park & Ride Garage on Garden City Drive
- County garage
- Park & Ride Lot at Landover Metrorail Station, 3000 Pennsy Dr., Hyattsville, MD 20785.
- Pedestrian detours will be in place along Ellin Road. For your safety, follow all construction notices and signs.
Future MDOT MTA Purple Line construction phases on the west side of the station will include additional impacts to Park & Ride Lot 4, the bus loop, the Kiss & Ride Lot, and other pedestrian detours along Ellin Road. Look for posted signs prior to the start of the next phase.