Construction Updates: New Carrollton Metrorail Station Projects
Advisory Effective: 7/1/19 - 12/31/23
Metro and its developer are transforming the New Carrollton Metrorail Station into a first-class, multi-modal and mixed-use development, with entertainment, residential, retail and commercial office space. The plan includes an urbanized town center and walkable community, connected by one of the region’s largest transit hubs with access to Metro, Amtrak, MARC, Greyhound and the future MDOT MTA Purple Line.
New Carrollton Joint Development
- New Carrollton Joint Development construction is currently underway including:
- Construction on Metro's new office building
- Construction on a residential building
- Demolition of the existing county parking garage closest to the station. Loud noises from equipment, concrete and steel are expected within 200 feet of the structure.
MDOT MTA Purple Line construction – Park & Ride Lot 4 Impacts
- As of fall 2019, 75 percent of the New Carrollton Park & Ride Lot 4 has been temporarily closed.
- Construction work related to the MDOT MTA Purple Line will occur sporadically and customers will be notified of any impacts.
- Customers may still enter/exit the Park & Ride Lot 4 with no disruption from construction activity.
Future MDOT MTA Purple Line construction phases on the west side of the station will include additional impacts to Park & Ride Lot 4, the bus loop, the Kiss & Ride Lot, and other pedestrian detours along Ellin Road. Look for posted signs prior to the start of the next phase.