What We Heard
Creating a Better Bus network begins with feedback from you, our customers, and our community. That's why we're asking for your help and input along the way, to make sure the new network meets the needs of our whole region. Take a look at the ways we've worked together, so far, to create a bus network that is fast, frequent, and reliable and better aligned with where and when you want to travel.
Spring 2023A big Thank You to all the Better Bus heroes who shared input on the draft Visionary Network, the future bus network the region needs! During spring 2023, we asked you to share your thoughts on the proposed changes to bus service and how they might affect you and our entire region. Thousands of you-our customers, community members, advocates, bus operators, employees, and elected officials-told us what you thought through interactive online tools and at one of more than 60 events on board buses, at libraries, in community spaces, and more. And we truly appreciate your valuable feedback!
- 61% of respondents had a positive impression of the draft Visionary Network and think that it will make the bus better
- Timing matters! Customers and the community told us that, after peak periods, the midday period was their second highest-priority time of day for frequent bus service
- When presented with different types of trips, customers and the community...
- Preferred longer overall trips to avoid transfers (59%), compared to fewer people (41%) who preferred shorter overall trips with transfers
- Were nearly evenly split between preferring to walk further for more-frequent bus routes (49%) and preferring a shorter walk to less-frequent bus routes (51%)
- Preferred a shorter walk to a less-direct/longer bus ride (64%) compared to fewer people (36%) who preferred walking farther for a more-direct/faster bus ride
Learn more about what we heard in our Phase 2 Engagement Summary and Route-Level Comment Summaries
Visitors to our workshops loved meeting our visual notetakers-artists who transformed their words into an impactful community mural. Check out this behind-the-scenes look at our visual notetaker team in action!
What's next? We will use what we heard and learned to revise the Visionary Network and to develop a draft Year One Network that is the first step to implement the Visionary Network. Check back here for more details on upcoming Phase 3 efforts.
Sign up for the Better Bus Dispatch newsletter, your up-to-date news source, to get the latest information about the Network Redesign and related initiatives.
In fall 2022, you told us how the bus could work better for you at a variety of in-person events and online through our survey and social media. Here are a few of your comments that stood out to us:
- The region's bus service is good, but it could be better. 45% of survey respondents expressed that existing bus service is "very good" or "excellent."
- Fast, frequent, and reliable service are top priorities you told us that shorter wait times and buses that arrive on time are most important to your bus experience.
- Inequities exist in reported walk distances and wait times customers of color and low-income customers reported in our survey having to walk twice as far and wait three to five minutes longer for the bus compared to white customers.
Watch to learn some of what we heard from you in Phase 1