SafeTrack Surge #16 Red Line: Shady Grove to Twinbrook
SafeTrack Surge #16 will begin Saturday, June 17, and continues through Sunday, June 25. A five-mile segment of the Red Line between Shady Grove and Twinbrook will be shut down for nine days during the final surge, which includes cross tie replacement, rail renewal and welding.
- No trains running at any time between Shady Grove and Twinbrook.
- Two stations, Shady Grove and Rockville, will be closed for the duration of the surge with rail service replaced by free shuttle buses running at all times of the day.
- Customers who normally use Shady Grove or Rockville are encouraged to consider starting their trip at Twinbrook, White Flint, Glenmont or Wheaton during the surge.
- Elsewhere on the Red Line, trains will run at near-normal intervals.
- Shady Grove and Rockville stations will be closed.
- Red Line trains will operate near normal service between Glenmont and Twinbrook every 8 minutes (normally 6 minutes).
- Additional Red Line trains will operate between Grosvenor and Silver Spring every 4 minutes (normally 3 minutes).
- Limited free shuttle buses will replace trains between Shady Grove, Rockville and Twinbrook at all times.
- Express shuttle buses provided by Metrobus, Ride On and Shuttle-UM will operate during weekday peak periods between Shady Grove and Grosvenor.
- During midday and evenings, trains will operate every 12 minutes with additional trains operating between Grosvenor and Silver Spring.
- After 10:00 p.m. trains will run every 15 minutes between Twinbrook and Glenmont.
- Service on Metro's Orange, Silver, Blue, Yellow, and Green lines will not be affected.
Red Line trains may be crowded due to a reduction in service. Customers may experience long lines and waits for shuttle buses. Consider alternate travel options and avoid traveling during rush hour periods if possible at the following stations:
Weekend train frequencies may change to coordinate with other planned track work on the Metrorail system. Weekend service information is posted in the Status and Alerts section.
BROCHURES AND MAPS
Map of Full Service Impacts
Detailed Bus Information
Metrorail Surge #16 Sign
SafeTrack Surge #16 Brochure
Local Shuttle Bus Route Map
Shady Grove shuttle bus stop map
Rockville shuttle bus stop map
Twinbrook shuttle bus stop map
Grosvenor shuttle bus stop map
Montgomery County SafeTrack page - Resources for Montgomery County residents, commuters and visitors to plan for SafeTrack.
MARC Service Information - Information on using MARC as an alternative during Metro's SafeTrack project.
- Customers driving on I-270 from north of Shady Grove or that use Rockville Station, should consider taking MARC Brunswick Line to Union Station.
- Limited free local shuttle buses will operate between Shady Grove, Rockville and Twinbrook at all times.
- Express shuttle buses provided by Metrobus, Ride On and Shuttle-UM will operate during weekday peak periods between Shady Grove and Grosvenor from 5:00 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
- Customers who normally park and ride at Shady Grove or Rockville should consider using other Metro Park & Ride facilities at Twinbrook, White Flint, Glenmont or Wheaton stations.
- Customers should consider Ride On or Metrobus for alternate routes.
Q 1, 2 Shady Grove - Rockville - Forest Glen - Silver Spring
Q 5, 6 Shady Grove - Rockville
T2 Rockville - Friendship Heights
C4 Rockville - Wheaton -Langley Crossroads Transit Center - Prince George's Plaza
Visit MARC's SafeTrack advisory page for Surge #16.
Current Park & Ride customers at Shady Grove should consider using White Flint, Twinbrook, Glenmont or Wheaton to start their trip.
Capital Bikeshare- A bike transit service of the departments of transportation in the District of Columbia, Arlington County, the City of Alexandria and Montgomery County
- As an alternative to regular membership options (starting at $8/day), Bikeshare is offering a flat $2 fare for single trips under 30 minutes.
Washington Area Bicyclist Association - Tips and directions on the best bike routes during Metro's SafeTrack program.
CARPOOLS, VANPOOLS & OTHER RESOURCES
Commuter Connections - Provides commute options to get to work and get you home in an unexpected emergency. Among many services, it offers ridematching for carpools and administers the Guaranteed Ride Home program.
Maryland Rideshare - Program offered by MTA's Commuter Assistance Office that enables thousands of commuters to reduce their commuting costs through the use of carpooling, vanpooling and various alternative commute options.
If you have any questions or need assistance planning your trip, please call Metro Customer Service at (202) 637-7000.