Metro is working with the DC Historic Preservation Review Board to ensure the site, once home to the Mills Foundry, is properly reviewed and recognized. In the 1860’s, self-taught sculpture Clark Mills cast Thomas Crawford’s famed Statue of Freedom at the Bladensburg site. The statue was completed and placed atop the U.S. Capitol Dome on December 2, 1863. Fittingly, Phillip Reed, an enslaved laborer who oversaw the forging process, was able to celebrate the freedom the statue represented as a result of the Emancipation Act of 1862.
A survey of the property is being conducted to determine if the foundation for the Mills Foundry remains within the boundaries of the Bladensburg Bus Garage property. The photograph below outlines the area of interest and where the remains of the Mills Foundry are potentially located.
1951 aerial photograph