Auto Reload Fares
Understanding How an Auto Reload Works
Auto Reload allows you to set up stored value and pass products so they can be automatically reloaded to your SmarTrip® or CharmCard® when your stored value runs low or your pass is about to expire. You choose how much stored value and what pass products you want to set up to Auto Reload.
The Auto Reload feature is currently available for a selected set of fare products easily identified by the "Add & Set Up Auto Reload" button (see example at right) appearing next to the eligible product on the "Add Products" web page.
With Auto Reload, you do not have to go to a Farecards and Passes Machine or an MTA Ticket Vending Machine to purchase products. Instead, you set up an Auto Reload online by logging into your SmarTrip® Account.
Payments for the Auto Reload
Payments for Auto Reload must be made with a valid credit card on your account. Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Discover are all accepted cards for charges. You may store a total of five credit cards on your account. The maximum initial Auto Reload purchase per day, per SmarTrip account is $300.
Charges after the Auto Reload setup charge will only occur when a stored value or pass product automatically reloads to your smartcard.
A valid email address in your SmarTrip® Account is needed to set up Auto Reload. All SmarTrip® and CharmCard® activity including purchases, reloads and credit card issues will be emailed as notifications and receipts.
Set up and Pick up Your Auto Reload
- Setup a SmarTrip® Account ( Click here to create an account)
- Enter a valid email address
- Associate a SmarTrip® card or CharmCard® with the account
- Enter a valid credit card in the billing information
- Select the smartcard that you will use for auto reloads
- Choose the products and click the "Add & Set up Auto Reload" button
- Complete your purchase
Pick up the Auto Reload product after one business day by touching your smartcard to a target on a rail gate, Farecards & Passes Machine or Ticket Vending Machine. Or pick up the auto Reload product after three business days by touching your smartcard to a target on a bus farebox.
You must touch your card to a target within 30 days or your purchase will expire.
Expired Auto Reloads
Email notices will be sent if you do not pick up your Auto Reload at any of the locations listed in the above section. Emails will be sent in the following intervals:
- 25 days after your initial purchase
- 28 days after your initial purchase
- 31 days after your initial purchase
Remember | Your Auto Reload purchase is automatically cancelled if it is not picked up within 30 days of your initial purchase.
If your Auto Reload expires, call SmarTrip® Regional Customer Service Center to request your purchase be put on your card. However, you will need to set up the Auto Reload again.
Understanding When a Product Will Auto Reload
Stored value or fare product will Auto Reload to your SmarTrip® or CharmCard® when a minimum threshold is reached. These minimum thresholds are pre-determined and cannot be changed.
Refer to this chart for the minimum thresholds:
|Product||Auto Reload Minimum Thresholds (this is when your card will be automatically reloaded)|
|Stored Value for Senior/Disabled cards||$10|
|Stored Value for Full Fare cards||$10|
|7 Day Passes (bus or rail)||3 days remaining|
|28 Day WMATA Rail Pass 30 Day MTA Pass||7 days remaining|
Auto Reload Product Maximum Purchases
The maximum stored value allowed for an Auto Reload is $180. The maximum number of unique passes set up for Auto Reload may not exceed four, and Auto Reload allows up to 2 of the same pass type (one currently active, one added from Auto Reload). You must continue to use your pass until the SmarTrip® or CharmCard® only has one pass remaining before you will be able to setup an auto reload for that pass.
Changing the Auto Reload Stored Value Amount
Anytime that you want to change the Auto Reload Stored Value amount:
- Login to your SmarTrip® Account
- Click on the smartcard that has an Auto Reload set up.
- On the View Card Summary page, locate the Current Auto Reloads section.
- Click the "Details/Edit/Cancel" link next to the Auto Reload stored value that you want to change.
- This will take you to the View Auto Reload Details page. Find the "Manage Your Auto Reload" section, click the "Update Auto Reload Amount" link and follow the prompts to complete the change.
The change will take effect the next time your card reaches the minimum threshold and you touch your card to a target.
Cancelling Auto Reloads
There are three conditions causing an Auto Reload to cancel:
- Your credit card payment has failed
- Your credit card has expired
- You request a cancellation
Failed Credit Card Payment
If a payment fails, you will be notified by email and an alert message will appear on your online account. You have 24 hours to update your billing information. After that time, your Auto Reload(s) will be cancelled.
Expired Credit Card
When the credit card on your account is about to expire, you will receive an email 21 days and 15 days prior to the expiration requesting you to update your account information. If no updated billing or account information is provided, your Auto Reload(s) will be cancelled beginning on Day 14.
Account Holder Cancellation
A cancellation can be requested by the account holder at any time. To do so: Login to your SmarTrip® Account
- Click on the smartcard that you have set up with an Auto Reload product.
- On the View Card Summary page, locate the Current Auto Reloads section.
- Click the "Details/Edit/Cancel" link next to the Auto Reload stored value that you want to cancel.
In the card details page. Find the "Manage Your Auto Reload" section, click the "Cancel Auto Reload" link and follow the prompts to complete the cancel.
You will be responsible for any Auto Reload amount charged to your credit card within five days of beginning the cancellation process. To avoid any unexpected, additional charges, remain mindful of the Auto Reload thresholds for fare products. Cancellation will be complete in 14 days.
Deleting a SmarTrip® Account or Removing a Smartcard from My SmarTrip® Account
You must first cancel the Auto Reloads, wait 14 days, and then you can delete your account or remove the card from your account.
Auto Reload Not Transferable to a New Card
You cannot transfer Auto Reloads from your old to your new card. You must set up a new Auto Reload.
Changing the Billing Information on an Auto-Reload
You may change your billing information - card type, card number, etc - at any time by choosing "Change Billing Information" for the card and Auto Reload already set up. Auto Reload(s) associated with the card where you are changing information will be updated.
By deleting a credit card from your account, you will also delete any Auto Reload(s) associated with this card and information. Once confirmed, the billing information and cancellation will be removed from your account after 14 days.
To change the billing information:
- Login to your SmarTrip® Account and click on the smartcard that you have set up with an Auto Reload product.
- On the View Card Summary page locate and click the "Manage Auto Reloads" link.
- On the Manage Auto Reloads page, locate the "Manage Your Auto Reloads" section
- Click the "Change Billing Information" link and follow the prompts to complete the change