Metro to relocate Kiss & Ride lots, bus stops ahead of summer Platform Improvement Project
In preparation for this summer’s Platform Improvement Project at six stations on the Blue and Yellow lines, Metro’s contractor, Kiewit, will soon begin constructing temporary bus loops at Huntington, Van Dorn Street, Braddock Road and Eisenhower Avenue stations. The temporary bus loops will accommodate free customer shuttles during construction and will be located in the stations’ Kiss & Ride lots. As a result, the Kiss & Ride lots at these stations will be closed and existing bus stops will be temporarily relocated. The current lots and bus stops will be restored at the conclusion of the project – in most cases, later this year.
In addition, Metro is advising customers that the contractor will conduct pre-construction activities over the weekend of May 4-5, requiring the closure of all six stations south of Reagan National Airport. Additional weekend outages may be necessary before the start of around-the-clock construction on Saturday, May 25.
Sunday, April 14
- Bus bays A and B will close, and all bus stops at the station will be moved within the remaining bus bays or to temporary bus stops established on Huntington Ave.
- Kiss & Ride lot will close. A temporary drop off zone will be established on Huntington Ave., just east of the entrance to the existing Kiss & Ride lot.
- ADA parking spaces will be available in the Huntington Park and Ride garages.
- For ADA customers who are unable to access the station and bus stops from the temporary drop off zone on Huntington Ave., a shuttle will be available. Customers can request the shuttle by calling 202-962-1825. In addition, the station’s south entrance and south Kiss & Ride will remain open and are fully accessible.
Sunday, April 14
- Bus stops will be temporarily reassigned within existing bus bays. The Kiss & Ride lot will remain open.
Van Dorn St Station
Sunday, April 14
- Kiss & Ride lot will close. ADA parking spaces will be available in the Van Dorn Park and Ride lot. A temporary drop off zone will be established on Metro Rd. near the Park and Ride lot.
Sunday, April 28
- Existing bus loop will close and all buses will be relocated to temporary bus stops constructed in the Kiss & Ride lot.
Monday, April 22
- Kiss & Ride lot will close, including all parking and ADA spaces. A temporary drop off zone will be created on N. West St.
- Existing bus stops at Braddock Rd Station will close and all buses will be relocated to temporary bus stops constructed in the adjacent Kiss & Ride lot and south of the station on E. Braddock Rd.
Sunday, April 21
- Approximately half of the Kiss & Ride lot will be closed. ADA parking spaces will be relocated to the other side of the Kiss & Ride lot. Temporary drop off zones will be established on Eisenhower Ave.
- Existing bus loop will be closed and all bus stops will be relocated to Eisenhower Ave.
Bike lockers, bike racks and other customer amenities may be relocated at some stations due to the construction.
Buses replace trains May 4-5 for pre-construction activity
During the weekend of May 4-5, free shuttle buses will replace Yellow and Blue line trains south of Reagan National Airport for pre-construction activity and staging necessary to start around-the-clock construction work on May 25. Metro also will utilize the closure of the six stations – Braddock Rd, King St, Eisenhower Ave, Van Dorn St, Franconia-Springfield and Huntington – to test shuttle bus operations for the summer-long project. During the weekend, the Blue Line Shuttle (operated by Alexandria Transit Company’s DASH bus system) and the Yellow Line Shuttle will operate as follows:
Blue Line Shuttle (DASH)
- Free shuttle buses will operate approx. every 10 minutes between Franconia-Springfield, Van Dorn St, King St and Reagan National Airport.
- The Blue Line shuttle will not stop at Braddock Rd. Customers traveling to Braddock Rd from points south should transfer at King St to the Yellow Line shuttle to continue to Braddock Rd.
- All airport travelers should use this shuttle.
Yellow Line Shuttle
- Free shuttle buses will operate approx. every 10 minutes between Huntington, Eisenhower Ave, King St., Braddock Rd and Crystal City.
- The Yellow Line shuttle will not stop at Reagan National Airport.
- Yellow Line customers traveling to the airport from points south should transfer at King St. to the Blue Line shuttle to continue to Reagan National Airport; or transfer to Metrorail at Crystal City and take a Blue or Yellow line train south to Reagan National Airport.
- All customers traveling to Braddock Rd should use this shuttle.
Metro’s Platform Improvement Project will rebuild outdoor platforms at 20 Metrorail stations that have deteriorated after decades of exposure to the elements. Beginning Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day (May 25-September 2, 2019), six Yellow and Blue line stations will be closed through the summer – Braddock Rd, King St, Eisenhower Ave, Van Dorn St, Franconia-Springfield and Huntington.
Site preparation work is already underway including fencing, staging of construction equipment, testing and hazard mitigation.