2023 Major Construction
Starting in summer 2023, #YourMetro will begin construction on a four-part initiative focusing on maintenance and rail technology upgrades. The completed work will increase reliability and modernize the Metro system to make your commute more reliable.
This work, which begins on May 12, 2023, includes:
Waterproofing station roofs on the eastern Orange Line in Maryland
- Replacing rail and installing fiber-optic cable on the western Orange Line in Virginia
- Installing fiber-optic cable on the northern Green Line in Maryland
Stay connected by signing up for our project newsletter.
Cheverly – Minnesota Ave: Roof Work (May 12-21, 2023) - COMPLETE
Station Closures: None
The Minnesota Ave, Deanwood, and Cheverly stations require roof waterproofing to protect the stations and their infrastructure. This work will help to prevent leaks and water damage, which can lead to costly repairs in the future. For crews to safely complete the job, Pepco must de-energize critical transmission lines above these stations. To avoid station closures, trains will operate on a single track during the work.
Vienna/McLean – Ballston-MU: Rail Replacement and Fiber-Optics (June 3-25, 2023)
Station Closures: Vienna, Dunn Loring, West Falls Church, East Falls Church
Metro will replace the original 40-year-old steel rail between Ballston-MU and Vienna. Replacing rail in this section is a top priority to ensure safety and increase reliability. Crews will also install fiber-optic cables during this shutdown. This work will be conducted in two phases to reduce station closures.
Vienna – West Falls Church: Rail Replacement and Fiber-Optics (June 26-July 16, 2023)
Station Closures: Vienna, Dunn Loring
Crews will continue rail replacement and fiber-optic installation between Vienna and West Falls Church.
Greenbelt – Fort Totten: Fiber-Optics (July 22-Sept. 4, 2023)
Station Closures: Greenbelt, College Park-U of Md, Hyattsville Crossing, West Hyattsville
This shutdown will focus on installing fiber-optic cables to improve rail network technologies. Once installed, the fiber-optic cables will allow Metro to get more updates done during non-customer hours, which means less downtime in the future.
- June 3 – June 25, 2023: No Silver Line service between Ballston-MU and McLean and no Orange Line service between Ballston-MU and Vienna. Free shuttle bus service will be available.
- June 26 – July 16, 2023: No Orange Line service between West Falls Church and Vienna. Free shuttle bus service will be available.
- July 22 – Sept. 4, 2023: No Green Line service between Fort Totten and Greenbelt. Free shuttle bus service will be available.
Stay current on the latest project news by signing up for our newsletter.