SmarTrip® Refunds and Replacements
SmarTrip stored value and passes are non-refundable. Refunds are available in the following circumstances:
- Non-Residents: Customers who live outside a 100-mile radius of the District of Columbia. Contact SmarTrip Customer Service at 1-888-762-7874 to initiate your refund.
Malfunctioning SmarTrip Card Dispensers: If you lose money or fail to receive a card after payment when using a rail station Fare Vending Machine, please notify the station manager and contact SmarTrip Customer Service at 1-888-762-7874.
Please note that unused SmartBenefits® are nonrefundable.
Lost or Stolen SmarTrip® Card
- The remaining balance on a lost or stolen SmarTrip Card can be transferred to a new (replacement) card.
- There is a $2 fee for a replacement SmarTrip Card.
- The remaining balance is the amount of Stored Value on your SmarTrip Card at the time it was lost or stolen. The amount is prorated from the time the card was reported lost or stolen.
- Passes already in use are transferred as Stored Value, prorated by the remaining days on the pass.
- For example, a 7-Day Regional Bus Pass activated on 11/1 and reported lost on 11/4 would retain three days of Stored Value, which would be transferred to the replacement SmarTrip Card.
- Be sure to register your SmarTrip Card. Unregistered SmarTrip Cards are not protected and are not eligible for balance transfers.
Lost or Stolen iPhone (with SmarTrip app + Apple Wallet)
- SmarTrip can easily be restored to Apple Wallet on a new iPhone or temporarily suspended to prevent unauthorized use.
- Visit SmarTrip in Apple Wallet FAQs for instructions.
Lost or Stolen Android Phone (with SmarTrip app + Google Pay)
- If the SmarTrip was registered to your account, you can purchase a new card in Google Pay and perform a balance transfer using the instructions below or by calling SmarTrip Customer Service.
Damaged or Malfunctioning Plastic SmarTrip Card
- Malfunctioning cards (those without visible signs of damage) are exempt from the $2 card replacement fee.
- If your card is malfunctioning, please contact SmarTrip Customer Service at 1-888-762-7874.
Performing a Fund Balance Transfer for a Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Card
- Log in to your SmarTrip account and follow the prompts for Report Lost or Damaged Card, after clicking Card Management.
- Transfer the fund balance to an existing SmarTrip Card or have a new card mailed to you (new cards arrive within 3 business days).
- To complete the balance transfer, you must use your card at a station you traveled through in the past 21 days.
- Online balance transfers take up to 4 hours for rail and 2 days for bus. For immediate use of your balance transfer funds, please visit the Metro Center Sales Office.