Metro News Release
For immediate release: November 3, 2011
Station names updated for new map
In preparation for service changes next year, the Metro Board today approved several recommendations for station name modifications.
In accordance with Board-adopted guidelines limiting primary station names to 19 characters (13 characters for transfer stations), the Board approved the following for the June 2012 map:
- Navy Yard becomes Navy Yard-Ballpark.
- King Street becomes King St-Old Town.
- Waterfront-SEU will drop “SEU,” because the university no longer exists.
- Forest Glen will be shown on the map with the universal "H" symbol to indicate the location of Holy Cross Hospital. Foggy Bottom, Shaw-Howard and Medical Center will also be shown with "H" symbols reflecting proximity of hospitals.
- New York Ave-Florida Ave-Gallaudet U will be renamed "NoMa-Gallaudet U." "New York Ave" will be shown as a secondary name for one-year to assist customers during the transition.
In addition, the Board exempted three station names from the primary/secondary application that exceed the 19-character limit because customers have strong familiarity with the existing names: Grosvenor-Strathmore, Georgia Ave-Petworth and Franconia-Springfield. Also, Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport remains unchanged.
The new map will include primary and secondary names for stations exceeding the 19-character limit, including:
Navy Mem’l-Penn Quarter
Mt Vernon Sq
7th Street-Convention Center
African Amer Civil War Memorial/Cardozo
West Falls Church
News release issued at 1:15 pm, November 3, 2011.