Major bus delays possible this afternoon due to planned demonstration in area of Gallery Place
Metro is advising bus customers of the potential for major delays in the area of Gallery Place this afternoon due to road closures.
This morning Metro was advised by the DC Metropolitan Police Department of a previously unscheduled demonstration at the intersection of 7th and H streets NW (Gallery Place) this afternoon/evening that may draw large crowds, closing streets to vehicular traffic. According to MPD the following street closures are likely starting as early as 4 p.m.:
- H Street NW between 6th & 8th streets
- 7th Street NW between G & I (Eye) streets
The street closures may result in significant delays for all Metrobus routes in the area including:
- 70, 74, 79, 80, X2, X9, P6
Nearby Metrobus routes outside the road closures including the 42, D4, D6 and G8 routes may also be impacted due to detours and congestion. Please allow additional travel time.
Metrobus customers traveling on these routes are encouraged to use Metrorail, if possible to avoid traffic delays. Bus customers may wish to take Metrorail out of the downtown area and then transfer to Metrobus farther up the line.
- 70/74 - From Gallery Place customers may take the Green or Yellow lines to Shaw-Howard U Station to transfer to northbound 70/79 service. Customers traveling southbound on the 74 should consider taking the Green Line to L’Enfant Plaza or Waterfront stations and transfer to the bus at that location.
- X2/X9 – From Metro Center customers traveling eastbound may take the Orange Line to Minnesota Ave Station and then double back to their destination. Customers traveling westbound on the X2 may take the Orange Line to McPherson Square Station and transfer to the bus at that location.
- 80 – From Gallery Place customers traveling northbound may take the Red Line to Brookland Station to transfer to northbound 80 service. Customers traveling southbound should take the Red Line to Farragut North and transfer to the bus at that location.
- P6 – From Gallery Place customers should take the Green Line to Waterfront Station and transfer to the southbound P6 service. Customers traveling northbound may take the Red Line to Rhode Island Avenue Station and then double back to their destination.
Metrobus street supervisors will establish detours and take steps to minimize delays; however customer should allow plenty of additional travel time and avoid the area if possible.
For the latest information on bus delays and detours sign up for MetroAlerts at wmata.com/metroalerts or follow @MetrobusInfo on Twitter.