Metro plans full-scale security exercise at Capitol South Station, Sept. 17
Metro Transit Police in coordination with U.S. Capitol Police will conduct a full-scale law enforcement exercise on Sunday, Sept. 17, at the Capitol South Station. The exercise will simulate a real-life security threat to test operational coordination, communications, and response between law enforcement agencies.
During this time, the Capitol South Station will be closed from opening until approximately 2 p.m. Free shuttle buses will replace trains between Eastern Market and Federal Center SW.
The exercise will simulate a real-world response to an active assailant in the Metrorail system. People in the area will see and hear a large emergency response and police activity in and around the station, including simulated ammunition (blanks). Please be assured this is only a drill.
More than 100 emergency responders and staff are expected to participate in the exercise activity or facilitation, including Metro Transit Police, U.S. Capitol Police, DC Metropolitan Police, Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority Police, and Metro staff from rail, bus, emergency operations, maintenance, and other personnel.
The live exercise will begin around 8 a.m. and is expected to end no later than 2 p.m.
- Capitol South Station closed from opening until approximately 2 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 17. Free shuttle buses replace trains between Eastern Market and Federal Center SW.
- Shuttle bus locations:
- Federal Center SW – Third St SW and D St SW at the station entrance.
- Capitol South – Independence Ave SE & First St SE.
- Eastern Market – Pennsylvania Ave SE between Seventh St SE and Eighth St SE. Customers traveling westbound should board on Pennsylvania Ave SE opposite the station entrance. Customers traveling eastbound should board on Pennsylvania Ave SE at the station entrance.
- Customers should tap their SmarTrip card when exiting and re-entering the Metrorail system from shuttle buses. Riders traveling through the exercise area will be charged for a single, continuous trip.
- Metrorail service will operate as follows:
- Franconia-Springfield to Federal Center SW and Eastern Market to Downtown Largo every 12 minutes.
- Vienna to Ballston and Eastern Market to New Carrollton every 12 minutes. Customers should transfer to/from the Silver Line at Ballston to continue their trip.
- Metro will notify customers when the station reopens via MetroAlerts text and email messages, on social media @wmata @metrorailinfo and at wmata.com/alerts.
MEDIA NOTE: This exercise is considered law enforcement sensitive and media access will not be allowed.