Shady Grove and Rockville closed for Rockville Canopy Replacement Project
Advisory Effective: 9/11/21 - 1/15/22
On December 7, Metro announced Shady Grove and Rockville stations will reopen on January 16, 2022. Learn more
Starting Saturday, September 11, 2021 and continuing through January 15, 2022, Metro will close Rockville and Shady Grove stations for the demolition and replacement of the canopy over the Rockville Station platform. The stations will reopen with rail service on January 16, 2022.
Customer Information (September 11, 2021 - January 15, 2022):
- No rail service at Shady Grove and Rockville.
- Free shuttle buses replace trains:
- Local service with stops at Shady Grove, Rockville and Twinbrook stations, every 10 minutes when the Metrorail system is open.
- Express service between Shady Grove and Twinbrook, between 4:30 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. weekdays only, every 5 minutes during peak periods, 10 minutes off-peak.
- Shady Grove and Rockville customers should consider parking at Twinbrook or White Flint as an alternative. Visit wmata.com/parking for more information about parking availability.
- Amtrak and MARC service will continue to operate during construction with no service disruptions at Rockville.
Parking and Bus Relocation
- The bus loop on the west side of Rockville is closed and buses relocated to Rockville Pike and the west Kiss & Ride Lot, which is closed to passenger vehicles.
- Customers should use the east Kiss & Ride Lot during this time to pick-up and drop-off.
- The parking lots at the station will remain open during construction. Due to the Surface Parking Lot Improvement Project, there may be limited parking in the Park & Ride.
- 62 spaces in the East Park & Ride Lot closed on December 2, 2021 for approximately two months.
Shady Grove Station
- The West Kiss & Ride Lot is closed to provide shuttle bus service.
- Customers should use the east Kiss & Ride Lot during this time for pick-up and drop-off.
About the Rockville Canopy Replacement Project
Metro’s Rockville Canopy Replacement Project will replace the aging canopy structure over the platform at Rockville Station and make additional customer improvements. More information is available at wmata.com/rockvillecanopy.