Emergency closure of the Rockville Pedestrian Bridge
Advisory Effective: 6/17/20 - 8/31/21
Updated August 13, 2021
Effective August 16, 2021, all safety-necessary structural repairs are complete, and the bridge will be open for customer use.
Safety & Customer Experience Enhancements
The bridge received many enhancements that will deliver a safer and more reliable customer experience while fortifying this structure for future operations including:
- Repaired bridge underside by removing cracks and reinforcing metal decking.
- New non-skid coating and removal of cracks on the bridge deck to help prevent customer injuries.
- New exhaust fans to provide better air ventilation for customers.
- New roof and updated waterproofing on glass panels/roofing to prevent leaks from bad weather.
- Repaired security gates to strengthen safety at the station.
While we are excited to open this bridge for customers, a couple more repairs not related to structural safety remain to be addressed. Specifically, due to supply chain challenges, the installation of two glass panels to replace damaged panels was delayed and will be completed, in early fall.
- Free shuttle bus service between Rockville Station and downtown Rockville will conclude on August 15, 2021.
- The West Kiss & Ride Lot remains closed due to the upcoming Rockville Canopy Replacement Project.
On behalf of Metro, thank you for your support throughout this project.
Rockville Pedestrian Bridge Fact Sheet