Platform Improvement Project Summer 2020
Advisory Effective: 5/20/20 - 9/30/20
Metro’s Platform Improvement Project is moving to the western side of the Orange Line this summer with plans to rebuild the deteriorating platforms at Vienna, Dunn Loring, West Falls Church, and East Falls Church stations and advance major infrastructure work along the 7-mile rail segment.
Making the most of historically low ridership and traffic-free highways, Metro will combine this summer's Orange Line work with a separate project on the Silver Line to connect Metrorail to the new "phase II" stations, which are being constructed by the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority (MWAA).
Beginning Saturday, May 23, all nine Orange and Silver line stations west of Ballston-MU will be closed.
- East Falls Church
- West Falls Church
- Dunn Loring
- Tysons Corner
- Spring Hill
- Wiehle-Reston East
Additionally, no Silver Line trains will operate in the Metrorail system. Silver Line stations between Ballston-MU and Largo Town Center will be served by Orange and/or Blue Line trains.
Metro will provide three free shuttle bus options:
- Orange Line Local: Service between Vienna, Dunn Loring, West Falls Church and Ballston
- Orange Line Express: Direct service between Vienna and Ballston (no intermediate stops)
- Silver Line Local: Service between Wiehle-Reston East, Spring Hill, Tysons Corner and Ballston
Shuttles will operate:
- Approximately every 10 minutes from 5 a.m. – 9 p.m. on weekdays
- Approximately every 15 minutes from 8 a.m. – 9 p.m. on weekends
- Shuttles will not stop at stations closed due to Metro's response to COVID-19.
- Parking will be free at Vienna, Dunn Loring, West Falls Church and Wiehle-Reston East
- Due to construction activity, there is no parking at East Falls Church
Visit the Alternative Travel Options page to learn more.