New Carrollton South Side Reconfiguration
Advisory Effective: 4/16/18 - 1/31/20
Updated February 5, 2019 - Phase 3 construction will be begin on Wednesday, February 6, 2019
Beginning April 30th, 2018 through Winter 2018, the south side access area of New Carrollton Metrorail Station will undergo a series of re-configurations to improve station access and to build a new connector road.
Initial construction of the station access improvements will have four phases that will impact pedestrian and vehicular access in different ways, including reconfigured intersections, access road and sidewalk closures, and parking space relocations.
Phase 1, April 30 - October 2018
- Approximately 20 parking spaces will be temporarily closed in Park & Ride Lot 2.
- The sidewalk next to Bus Bay F will be closed to the public.
Phase 2-3, Late Fall 2018
- The new exit for Park & Ride Lot 2 will open for use, and the existing exit will close permanently.
- The current access road off of Garden City Drive will now be a two-way entrance and exit.
- The crosswalk has been relocated to the south side of the intersection at Garden City Drive and the entrance road.
- Customers should use the metered Kiss & Ride spaces within the Park & Ride Garage on the first level.
Phase 4, February 6, 2019 through April 2019
- New connector and access roads will open and provide access to the Kaiser Permanente Office Building and private parking garage.
- Approximately 20 parking spaces in Park & Ride Lot 2 will be temporarily closed for lot expansion construction.
For your safety, follow all construction notices and signs
Details of this joint development project are available in the Staff Report: Proposed changes to WMATA facilities at New Carrollton Metrorail Station
This advisory will be updated as additional information becomes available.