SafeTrack Surge #9: Vienna to West Falls Church
Progress Report as of 9/28/16
West Falls Church to Vienna, Continuous Single Tracking September 15 - October 26 (with Shutdowns September 24‐25, October 1‐2, 8‐9 and 15‐16)
SCOPE OF WORK:
Renewal of rail and power infrastructure on this portion of the Orange line, including crossties, track circuit equipment, and power
The critical tasks completed during the surge include:
- Replaced over 7,000 crossties
- Welded 97 joints
- Replaced over 400 insulators
- Repaired over 140 power cables and over 80 pigtails
- Upgraded 48 signals to LED which are brighter and will last longer.
- 1090 Intrusion Detection Warning System boxes were upgraded. These are an important safety feature along fence lines.
- Inspected and repaired power and IT connections to emergency trip station boxes, ensuring that power can be quickly removed from the third rail in case of emergencies
- Removed vegetation and trash from over 30,000 feet of the track bed, improving drainage and eliminating fire hazards.
- Replaced missing or damaged signs and labeling.
SafeTrack Photo Gallery (click on photo to view)
SafeTrack Surge #9
SafeTrack Surge #9 Press Conference