Multiple options available to reload your SmarTrip card during summer station closures
Published: Wednesday, June 19, 2019
While the six Blue and Yellow line stations south of Reagan National Airport are closed this summer for platform reconstruction, SmarTrip fare machines are unavailable. Shuttle buses and parking are free at the closed stations, but you will need fares for local bus routes and to ride the Metrorail system elsewhere.
Here are several options to reload your SmarTrip card while these stations are closed:
- Register your SmarTrip card online and set up automatic payments with Auto Reload
- Manually reload your SmarTrip card online and add how much you want whenever you want
- Use one of the available fare machines at the 85 rail stations that remain open this summer
- Visit a sales location at select retail stores, like CVS/pharmacy and Giant Food
- Visit one of the five Commuter Store locations in Virginia
- Visit a mobile commuter store at the locations listed below
Alexandria’s two mobile commuter stores will be open this summer from 7 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the following locations:
- Monday – Braddock Rd & King St-Old Town Metrorail stations
- Tuesday – Mark Center & Braddock Rd Metrorail Station
- Wednesday – Braddock Rd & King St-Old Town Metrorail stations
- Thursday – Braddock Rd & King St-Old Town Metrorail stations
- Friday – Braddock Rd & King St-Old Town Metrorail stations
You can access the complete schedule of all Mobile Commuter Stores here.
Don’t forget, for the most convenient reload options, we encourage you to register your SmarTrip card online. That will allow you to set up Auto Reload or manually reload your card online. In addition, a registered SmarTrip card makes you automatically eligible for the Rush Hour Promise – Metro’s customer service guarantee that provides you with a travel credit when your trip is delayed by 10 minutes or more. The program is not in effect in areas where planned service outages or major capital projects are underway, but remains in effect this summer on the rest of the system.
We are here to help make your Metro travel as convenient as possible during the summer closures. Check out our SmarTrip Q&A page for answers to all your SmarTrip questions.