Bus loop and Kiss & Ride construction to be completed by late fall
Last Updated: Monday, January 13, 2020
First Published: Friday, October 11, 2019
As the first phase of the Platform Improvement Project nears completion, both sides of the platform opened ahead of schedule at Franconia-Springfield and Huntington stations, and the installation of non-slip tile continues in the Huntington mezzanine and Franconia-Springfield pedestrian bridge. Metro’s contractors are expected to continue punch list work inside the stations through the end of the year.
While buses continue to operate in temporary locations at a number of stations, restoring the bus loops and Kiss & Ride lots is a high priority. Metro today announced the schedule for returning bus operations to their permanent locations.
As the bus loops are restored, customers should be aware that some work will continue to finish installing upgrades in bus shelters, including lighting and digital information displays. During this time, temporary lighting will be provided and the work will be completed with minimal customer inconvenience.
Braddock Rd Station
- NOW OPEN - Sunday, Nov. 3, 2019: The renovated bus loop reopens. Some buses will continue operating on the street at their current locations. Click here for the updated vicinity map
- NOW OPEN - Sunday, Nov. 10, 2019: Kiss & Ride lot reopens
Braddock Rd - Crews set foundations for new bus shelters in the renovated bus loop
Eisenhower Ave Station
- NOW OPEN - Sunday, Oct. 20, 2019: The renovated bus loop and Kiss & Ride reopen. Weekend DASH service will serve the bus loop, while all Metrobus and weekday DASH service will continue operating from the street at their current locations. Click here for the updated vicinity map
Eisenhower Ave - Windscreens and benches are set along the permanent bus loop
- Buses have returned to their permanent locations Click here for the vicinity map
- Monday, Oct. 21 – Friday, Nov. 22, 2019: On the station’s north side, bus loop construction continues, along with sidewalk repair and bus shelter replacement. Some buses will temporarily relocate to accommodate the ongoing work – see signage at the station for bus locations
- NOW OPEN - Tuesday, Nov. 26, 2019: The renovated bus loop and Kiss & Ride lot reopen on the station’s north side. Metrobus 10A no longer serves the station’s south side side. Metrobus NH2 continues to serve the station’s south side. Click here for the updated vicinity maps
- The walkway between the Huntington north garage and middle garage will remain closed as preparations continue for the new station entrance.
King St-Old Town Station
- Buses continue operating at temporary locations through the remainder of Alexandria’s King Street-Old Town Metro Access Improvement Project
Van Dorn St Station
- NOW OPEN - Sunday, Nov. 10, 2019: The renovated bus loop on Eisenhower Ave reopens. The Kiss & Ride lot (which was used as the temporary bus loop this summer) closes for renovations. Customer pick-up and drop-off remains on Metro Rd. Click here for the updated vicinity map
- NOW OPEN - Monday, January 13, 2020: Kiss & Ride lot reopens
Van Dorn St - Crews restore sidewalk, curb and driveway