Construction Update: One Month Out
With just over four weeks remaining until the six Blue and Yellow line stations south of Reagan National Airport reopen, crews are focusing on installing the conduits and wiring for electricity and communication networks, as well as completing new fire standpipes on the platforms for improved emergency response capabilities.
Crews have finished demolishing old tile, pouring concrete for new platform edges and topping slabs, waterproofing the platforms, and placing granite edges at all six platforms.
In the remaining weeks, crews will proceed with installing and testing the new station improvements, including LED lighting, Passenger Information Displays, improved PA systems and speakers, cameras and fire alarms.
- At Braddock Rd Station, installation and grouting of slip-resistant tile on the platform is more than halfway complete. Crews are now working on lighting in the mezzanine, refinishing the elevator, and equipping pylons with passenger information display screens, wiring and speakers.
- At Eisenhower Ave Station, work has been completed on the canopy. Pylons have been set on the platform and are receiving side panels as well as conduit for PA systems and fire alarms. Installation of slip-resistant tile is nearing completion. Work continues on track bed repairs, elevator renovations and exterior lighting for the Kiss & Ride lot.
Conduit installation along the aerial structure
- At Franconia-Springfield Station, crews have begun to install platform shelters, pylons and lighted handrails. On the pedestrian bridge, work continues with installation of ceiling tiles and new sprinkler systems, sandblasting and painting. Work is nearing completion on elevator and restroom renovations.
New ceiling tile being installed in the pedestrian bridge area
- At Huntington Station, work on skylight frames and glass panels is complete. Crews have begun placing slip-resistant tiles, pylons and shelters on the platform. In the next week, crews will continue renovating the escalators and installing mezzanine ceiling panels.
New skylight framing and glass installation
- At King St-Old Town Station, installation of frames and skylights across the canopies and slip-resistant tile on the platform is complete. Crews will continue installing new lighting and will begin to install new tile in the mezzanine area this week.
Globe light installation underway and a look at the new skylight glass
- At Van Dorn St Station, installation of platform canopy framing and skylights, bathroom fixtures and intercom system boxes on pylons is fully complete. Lighting installation continues on handrails and platform edges. Crews have finished installing slip-resistant tiles and are working on grouting them all in. In the coming weeks, crews will continue building out platform shelters, installing mezzanine ceiling panels and refinishing the elevator.
Preparing platform edge lights for installation
New platform shelter with glass roof installed
To make sure you receive the latest project updates, follow us on Twitter and Facebook or check back at wmata.com/platformsprogress.