Customer Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Due to the COVID-19 health emergency, shared rides have been temporarily suspended. All rides are being provided on an individual basis. *Please note, the cost per ride for individual trips with Lyft may vary from lower-cost shared rides.
- What is the After-Hours Commuter Service Program?
- Where do I get the Lyft app?
- How does it work?
- Who can use this program?
- Is this program permanent?
- How do I use this program?
- What type of Lyft ride can I use?
- Do I have to register the SmarTrip® card?
- Can SmartBenefits® be used to cover charges above the subsidy?
- Where can I find the Terms and Conditions of the program?
- What will you do with my data?
- Are locations excluded from the Program?
- Who makes the determination and what are the rules for eligibility?
- How will I know if I am eligible to use the Program?
- What if my application is denied?
- Why does it take 3 business days to determine eligibility approval or denial?
- Do I have to wait for approval before using the program or I can start to use of the program pending approval?
- If I start work at a time before 12:00 am (midnight) or end work after 4:00 am, can I use the program?
- Do unused trips roll over?
- Who do I contact for Registration help?
- Who do I contact for help with the Lyft app or service?
- Are the vehicles accessible?
What is the After-Hours Commuter Service Program?
The After-Hours Commuter Service Program in collaboration with the ridesharing company Lyft, is a program where late-night commuters receive a subsidy for shared rides between the hours of 12:00 am (midnight) and 4:00 am.Back To Top
Where do I get the Lyft app?
Download below for your device.
How does it work?
Metro provides a subsidy of $6 per trip for a maximum of 40 trips per month to eligible riders. This subsidy is used on the Lyft app to take shared rides between the hours of 12:00 am (midnight) and 4:00 am.
You must apply for the Program by the 25th of the month and you will receive your $6 trip subsidy the first day of the following month. Once enrolled in the program, the next month's subsidy will automatically load each month for the duration of the Program.
Your SmarTrip card WILL NOT be used as a form of payment. The $6 subsidy appears in the Lyft app. The balance is charged to the form of payment chosen within the app.
If eligibility is accepted, $6 will be taken off each shared ride as shown in the image.
Who can use this program?
The Program is geared toward overnight and 3rd shift workers (hospital and hospitality, for example) and anyone who works or needs to commute to and/or from work between the hours of 12:00 am (midnight) and 4:00 am.Back To Top
Is this program permanent?
The Program runs from June 30, 2020 to June 30, 2021 beginning on July 1, 2020 at midnight and ending on June 30, 2021 at 11:59 pm.Back To Top
How do I use this program?
You must sign-up for Lyft and register your SmarTrip® card prior to applying for the Program. After applying, Metro will determine your eligibility based on the Program rules and will send a confirmation email within 3 business days.
If approved, Metro will provide Lyft with your mobile phone number for you to receive your shared ride subsidy (shown below).
Back To Top
What type of Lyft ride can I use?
You must select the Shared ride option to receive the Program subsidy. Shared rides connect you with other riders along your route. When you share a ride, you pay a discounted price.
Lyft will pick you up at your location regardless of whether you're matched with other riders. The app will show you the price up front: what you see is what you pay regardless of whether you're matched with other riders.
Do I have to register the SmarTrip® card?Back To Top
Can SmartBenefits® be used to cover charges above the subsidy?
No. The IRS limits SmartBenefits to use on mass transit and eligible commuter highway vehicles that seat at least 6 adults (not including the driver). Like taxi cabs, rideshare vehicles do not satisfy this definition.Back To Top
Where can I find the Terms and Conditions of the program?
What will you do with my data?
At Metro we respect your privacy and are committed to protecting your personally identifiable information. We will only use employer information (obtained through registration) to validate your place of employment and work schedule to determine eligibility for the program. Your mobile phone number will be provided to Lyft, so you can participate in the Program.Back To Top
Are locations excluded from the Program?
Yes. All request for service must originate and terminate within the WMATA compact service area , which includes the participating jurisdictions of:
- District of Columbia;
- Commonwealth of Virginia: Cities of Alexandria, Falls Church and Fairfax and the counties of Arlington, Fairfax and Loudoun;
- State of Maryland: Counties of Montgomery and Prince George's.
Who makes the determination and what are the rules for eligibility?
WMATA determines who is eligible; all participants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a current SmarTrip® holder with a registered SmarTrip® card;
- Provide all mandatory information in the application;
- Work within the Metro compact service area;
- Need transportation services for work between the hours of 12:00 am (midnight) and 4:00 am.
How will I know if I am eligible to use the Program?
Within 3 business days of applying to the Program you will receive a status email confirming your eligibility or requesting more information.Back To Top
What if my application is denied?
Metro will inform you if you have been denied eligibility for the Program and the reason for the denial.Back To Top
Why does it take 3 business days to determine eligibility approval or denial?
Metro will validate the information provided during the application process. Metro may call your employer to verify your work schedule and work address.Back To Top
Do I have to wait for approval before using the program or I can start to use of the program pending approval?
Customers will not receive the subsidy in the Lyft app until they receive their confirmation email and are logged into the Lyft app using the mobile phone number provided during the Program application.Back To Top
If I start work at a time before 12:00 am (midnight) or end work after 4:00 am, can I use the program?
If your job requires you to commute between the hours of 12:00 am (midnight) and 4:00, you are eligible for the program.Back To Top
Do unused trips roll over?
Unused trips do not roll over to the next month.Back To Top
Who do I contact for Registration help?
Send an email to WMATA_AHCS@wmata.com.Back To Top