Traveling to the Cherry Blossoms
Visitors attending the National Cherry Blossom Festival will enjoy four consecutive weekends free of daytime track work from Saturday, March 23, through Sunday, April 14, when weekend ridership can nearly double. Normal weekend service will run on all lines throughout the day and evening hours. Metro will schedule track work after 10 p.m. when ridership is extremely light.
On weekends, lower off-peak fares and free parking are in effect all day.
Getting to the blossoms
- Plan your trip
- Metro's trip planner makes it easy to get to all of the Cherry Blossom festivities.
- When planning your trip, remember, in addition to Metrorail, there are multiple Metrobus routes that can get you to the blossoms as well.
- You can chat with one of our customer service agents Monday-Friday from 9AM-3PM for assistance in planning your trip.
- Ready to ride
- Avoid potentially long lines at vending machines, loading enough value on your SmarTrip card for your entire round trip in advance.
- Visitors can purchase an unlimited One-Day Pass for $14.75 in advance online or at any Metrorail station, local CVS or Giant food store. The pass can be loaded onto any SmarTrip card, and can be used for unlimited rail travel on the day it is first used.
- Don't let waiting get you down, see where the buses and trains are before you enter the station with our real-time Next Arrivals.
- Getting there
- Smithsonian Station can become extremely busy with visitors at this time of year.
- Riders should consider using L'Enfant Plaza, Archives, Arlington Cemetery or Federal Triangle during Cherry Blossom Season.
- On weekdays, visitors are encouraged to travel during non-rush hour times, if possible, and try to avoid traveling at the height of the afternoon peak period, from 4 to 6 p.m.
- For your safety,
- Always stand back from the platform edge.
- When boarding the train, please move as far into the car as possible to allow others to board.
- When exiting trains, please move as far away from the door as possible to allow others to exit.
- Do not hold or block train doors at any time.
- Stay informed