Frequently Asked Questions
- When is the Silver Line Extension ready to open?
- What is ORD?
- Who will operate and maintain the Silver Line Extension?
- Where can I go on the Silver Line Extension?
- Will the Silver Line Extension go to Dulles Airport?
- How will passengers get from the Washington Dulles International Airport Station to the main terminal?
- Will a new rail yard be built for the Silver Line Extension?
- Will there be commuter parking at the new stations?
- What are the transfer stations along the Silver Line?
- What are the hours of operation for the Silver Line Extension and how often will the trains run?
- How much will it cost to ride the new Silver Line Extension?
- Do I need a SmartTrip card to travel on Metro?
- Where can I get more information about the Silver Line Stations or Silver Line Extension?
- How do I make my commute tax-free?
When is the Silver Line Extension ready to open?
The Silver Line Extension opened for customers on Tuesday, November 15, 2022.
What is ORD?
ORD stands for Operational Readiness Date, and it marks the date when the project is officially turned over to Metro by the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority (MWAA). Once ORD is established, Metro must complete extensive testing, inspections, monitoring, training, and emergency drills required for the Silver Line Extension to open safely and reliably to the public.
Who will operate and maintain the Silver Line Extension?
With ORD complete on June 23, 2022, Metro will control all operations and maintenance of the Silver Line Extension and new Dulles rail yard.
Where can I go on the Silver Line Extension?
The Silver Line currently operates between the Largo Town Center Station in Maryland and Wiehle-Reston East Station in Fairfax, Virginia.
The Silver Line Extension adds another 11.4-miles of track outbound from Wiehle-Reston East, extending Silver Line service to Washington Dulles International Airport and ending in Ashburn, Virginia. The Silver Line Extension will add six new stations to the Metrorail system: Reston Town Center, Herndon, Innovation Center, Washington Dulles International Airport, Loudoun Gateway, and Ashburn.
Will the Silver Line Extension go to Dulles Airport?
Yes! The Silver Line Extension has a station at Washington Dulles International Airport. The airport is easy to get to from the station, with a connection via an underground tunnel with moving walkways.
How will passengers get from the Washington Dulles International Airport Station to the main terminal?
Escalators from the Dulles Airport Station connect to the existing underground pedestrian tunnel that currently services Daily Parking Garage 1. The tunnel is equipped with moving walkways between the Station and the terminal.
Will a new rail yard be built for the Silver Line Extension?
Yes, a new rail yard was built on the Dulles Airport property and includes buildings for service and inspection, maintenance-of-way, train wash, transportation/police, and warehouse. The rail yard can store 168 cars.
Will there be commuter parking at the new stations?
Yes. Parking garages are located at Herndon Station, Innovation Center Station, Loudoun Gateway Station (Route 606), and Ashburn Station (Route 772). These parking lots are conveniently located adjacent to the new stations and will accept SmarTrip cards; however, they are owned, operated, and maintained by the local jurisdictions.
No commuter parking is available at Reston Station and Washington Dulles International Airport Station; however, passengers can still park at the existing garages at the airport.
What are the transfer stations along the Silver Line?
There are five stations along the Silver Line where riders can transfer to another rail line:
- East Falls Church
- Metro Center
- L'Enfant Plaza
What are the hours of operation for the Silver Line Extension and how often will the trains run?
The hours of operation for the Silver Line Extension are the same as the rest of the Metrorail system.
|Monday - Thursday||5 AM to midnight|
|Friday||5 AM to 1 AM (Saturday morning)|
|Saturday||7 AM to 1 AM (Sunday morning)|
|Sunday||7 AM to midnight|
Silver Line trains will ramp up to every 10 minutes during rush hour, every 12 minutes during midday, evening, and weekends, and every 15 minutes during late-night hours.
*Due to the ongoing 7000-series railcar investigation, service improvements would go into effect after 7000-series railcars return to services.
How much will it cost to ride the new Silver Line Extension?
The price of a trip on Metrorail varies depending on the time of day and the distance traveled between stations, ranging from $2 to $6. On weekends and weekdays after 9 p.m., Metro charges a flat $2 fee for each one-way trip. Riders can use Metro's Trip Planner to calculate the exact fare and determine the best route to travel to your destination.
Do I need a SmartTrip card to travel on Metro?
SmartTrip® cards are used to pay fares on both Metrorail and Metrobus, as well as several Metro's regional bus providers. Each passenger must pay a fare; however, two children under age five may travel free with a paying passenger.
Use the SmartTrip app for IOS and Android to purchase a transit card and tap-and-go at Metro stations. SmartTrip® cards can also be purchased online and at Metrorail vending machines, authorized retailers, and Metro sales offices
Where can I get more information about the Silver Line Stations or Silver Line Extension?
You can find detailed information about the six new Silver Line stations here at wmata.com/silverline.
In addition, information about the other 91 Metrorail stations can be found here.
How do I make my commute tax-free?
- Save with SmartBenefits - make your commute tax free and save up to $1,200 a year! Commuting just two days a week? You can still save hundreds of dollars every year with SmartBenefits.
- Use SmartBenefits anywhere the SmarTrip card is accepted plus MARC, VRE, MTA Commuter Bus, Vanpools, and MetroAccess.
- Enroll in SmartBenefits through your employer. Commuters, go to wmata.com/commuter to learn more. Employers, apply for a free account at wmata.com/smartbenefits.