Frontier Drive Extension at Franconia-Springfield Station
Metro is proposing changes to the Franconia-Springfield Metro Station to accommodate the Frontier Drive Extension Project, which is led by Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) and Fairfax County and proposes to extend Frontier Drive to Loisdale Road near the Franconia-Springfield Metro Station. The project aims to better connect the nearby employment center that includes the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) headquarters.
The proposed design includes the following modifications to Metro facilities:
- Add two (2) new signalized intersections; one at Metro Access Road and Frontier Drive, and one reconfigured intersection to improve traffic flow and operations.
- Reconfigure sections of the Franconia-Springfield Station circulatory road and access to parking garage entrances (all existing access points would be maintained).
- Add three new bus bays at Franconia-Springfield Station.
- Add new bus layover facility.
- Eliminate the pick-up/drop-off area at Franconia-Springfield Station.
To learn more about the project, including funding details and proposed roadway changes, please visit VDOT's Frontier Drive Extension webpage.