Proposal to Make 2021 Rail Service Improvements PermanentWe're proposing to make weekday service improvements that started in September 2021 and extended operating hours that began in July 2021 permanent.
Make weekday service improvements permanent
- Continue operating Blue, Orange, Silver, Green and Yellow line trains every 10 minutes during rush hours (6:30-9:30 a.m. and 3-7 p.m.), every 12 minutes during middays and evenings, and every 15 minutes after 9:30 p.m.
- Continue operating Red Line trains every 10 minutes after 9:30 p.m.
- Trains are more frequent at stations served by more than one line
Make current operating hours permanent
- Monday-Thursday 5 a.m.-midnight
- Friday 5 a.m.-1 a.m.
- Saturday 7 a.m.-1 a.m.
- Sunday 7 a.m.-midnight
Proposal for New Service Improvements Starting in 2022
We're proposing more trains and rail service to seven new stations in 2022.
More weekday rush hour service
- Red Line trains every 5 minutes (previously every 6 minutes)
More weekend service
On Saturday and Sunday, train service would increase to:
- Red Line trains every 6 minutes (previously every 12 minutes)
- Blue, Orange, Silver, Green and Yellow line trains every 12 minutes (previously every 15 minutes)
Previous service levels were implemented in September 2021. Service improvements would go into effect when the Silver Line Phase 2 extension opens.
Launch new rail service to seven new stations
- Extend Silver Line service past Wiehle-Reston East to six new stations: Reston Town Center, Herndon, Innovation Center, Dulles International Airport, Loudoun Gateway and Ashburn
- Operate Blue and Yellow line service to the new Potomac Yard Station, located between Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport and Braddock Rd
Service would begin after construction, safety testing and commissioning are completed.
Note: Due to ongoing 7000-series railcar safety inspections, Metro customers can expect reduced rail service levels in early 2022. Service improvements would go into effect after 7000-series railcars return to service.