About Art in Transit
The Art in Transit Program works with visual and performing artists, other arts professionals, architects, engineers, community organizations and representatives, and jurisdictional arts councils to develop projects and performances that reflect the spirit and vitality of communities served by Metro.
The Art in Transit Program:
- Utilizes the WMATA transit environment as a place where customers and the public can enjoy the arts as a regular part of their daily lives.
- Contributes to the dynamic cultural and artistic scene of the Capital region and recognizes, values, and celebrates the communities it serves.
- Encourages public-private partnerships to support art projects that may not be achieved independently.
- Mitigates the impact of construction on surrounding communities by incorporating visual artwork into the preparation and building phases of new transit projects.
- Increases enthusiasm for and support of WMATA and its interest in serving the public.
Approval and installation of all visual arts and performances on WMATA property is coordinated by by WMATA's Office of Architecture, in accordance with the rules and regulations governing the Art in Transit Program. For more information about the regulations concerning the use of WMATA Property ("Use Regulations), please click here.
For information about the Art in Transit Program please contact:
For press enquiries please contact:
Metro's Media Relations Office is the official point of contact for reporters and members of the news media as they interact with Metro. To reach a member of the Media Relations staff, please call 202-962-1051.