Metro encourages Nationals, Mystics fans to take the train to the game on Tuesday, Oct 1
Metro General Manager/CEO Paul J. Wiedefeld and Board Chair Paul Smedberg today issued the following joint statement:
On Tuesday, the Washington Mystics will take on the Connecticut Sun in Game 2 of the WNBA Finals as the Washington Nationals host the National League Wild Card game. Metro is prepared to accommodate fans by running additional trains on the Green Line, both before and after the games, as we always do. While there has been no formal request to extend Metrorail service, we want to assure fans considering choosing Metro that we will get you home if the game runs later than expected. Trains will continue running at least 20 minutes after the end of the game, up to one hour later than our normal closing time, if necessary.
While this announcement addresses the immediate concern around Tuesday’s games, the Metro Board will take up the broader issues concerning Metro’s closing time and accommodating fans during playoff season in the coming months.
Thank you for your support of Metro. Go Mystics! Go Nats!
- Normally, Monday-Thursday, the last Greenbelt-bound train departs Congress Heights at 11:16 p.m. and departs Navy Yard-Ballpark at 11:22 p.m.
- If either game is still in progress at 11 p.m., then Metro will "flex" its normal closing time by staying open 20 minutes after the game ends, up to one hour later than normal if necessary. (In the unlikely event that a game is still in progress at midnight, please note that Metro will not be able to stay open later than 12:22 a.m. -- one hour later than normal.)
- If Metro stays open later than normal, trains will continue running on all lines. The station closest to the game (i.e. Congress Heights for the Mystics, Navy Yard-Ballpark for the Nationals) will be "entry only" and all other stations will be "exit only."
- If there is a line to enter the station, please be assured that Metro will accommodate all fans who are in line 20 minutes after the game ends.
- Customers transferring to Yellow, Blue, Orange or Silver lines should make the transfer at L'Enfant Plaza. Customers transferring to the Red Line should do so at Gallery Place.