Metro reminds customers of closures of Addison Road and Arlington Cemetery stations for platform reconstruction beginning Saturday
En Español: Opciones de viaje alternativas: primavera de 2021
Metro is reminding customers that beginning Saturday, February 13, the Addison Road and Arlington Cemetery stations will be closed for platform reconstruction and station improvements.
The work will continue through Sunday, May 23, to allow for platform reconstruction and other station improvements, including the installation of more energy-efficient LED lighting, slip-resistant tiles and new digital signage to improve customer communication.
Shuttle buses will replace trains at the two closed stations for the duration of the project, with no Blue Line service. Additional Yellow Line trains will operate from Franconia-Springfield to Mt Vernon Square; however, weekend service adjustments may be necessary due to other scheduled track work.
Service details, shuttle bus information, other travel alternatives, and more information about Metro's Platform Improvement Project are listed below and available at wmata.com/platforms.
Video: Rail service and shuttle bus routes during spring platform reconstruction
Rail Service Information
- No Blue Line trains will operate.
- Additional Yellow Line trains will operate between Franconia-Springfield and Mount Vernon Square stations at all times. (Yellow Line service between Huntington and Greenbelt is unaffected.)
- Customers traveling to downtown D.C. from stations south of Arlington Cemetery should board a Yellow Line train. Transfer at L'Enfant Plaza if necessary.
- Silver Line trains will pass through Addison Road without stopping.
- Riders traveling between Largo Town Center and Rosslyn stations should use Silver Line trains.
Free shuttle bus service will operate:
- Between Rosslyn, Arlington Cemetery (during operating hours), and Pentagon every 12-15 minutes
- Between Addison Road and Capitol Heights every 6-8 minutes
Customers may also consider the following regular-route bus service to get around the construction areas:
- 43: Service between Court House, Rosslyn & Crystal City (Non-stop between Rosslyn & Crystal City, operates Monday-Friday)
- 599: Service between Reston, Pentagon & Crystal City, non-stop between Reston & the Pentagon (operates Monday-Friday; AM rush eastbound; PM rush westbound)
- 698: Non-stop service between Vienna Station & Pentagon (operates Monday-Friday; AM rush eastbound; PM rush westbound)
- 393, 394, 395, and 396: Peak (rush hour) service to Pentagon
- 310: All day service to Metrorail Yellow line and D.C.
- 306: Pentagon on Braddock Rd. (off peak)
- C21 & C22: Service between Addison Road & Largo Town Center stations (operates Monday-Friday)
- C29: Service between Addison Road & Largo Town Center stations (operates Saturday & Sunday)
- F14: Service between Naylor Road, Addison Rd, Capitol Heights & New Carrollton stations (operates Monday-Saturday)
During construction, parking fees will not be charged at Addison Road Station as a courtesy to customers.
About the Platform Improvement Project
Metro's Platform Improvement Project is dedicated to making platforms safer and more accessible for all customers. As part of this multi-year project, Metro is rebuilding deteriorated platforms at 20 outdoor Metrorail stations. There are nine remaining stations scheduled for platform reconstruction: Addison Rd and Arlington Cemetery in Spring 2021; Greenbelt, College Park- University of Maryland, Prince George's Plaza, and West Hyattsville in Summer 2021; and New Carrollton, Landover, and Cheverly in Summer 2022.
As the station platforms are reconstructed, Metro is using the time to make improvements that enhance customer experience with a higher level of safety, accessibility and convenience. Key customer experience improvements include new slip-resistant tiles, brighter energy-efficient LED lighting, larger digital display screens, new stainless-steel platform shelters with charging ports and new surveillance systems.