Metro to make masks optional, effective immediately
Effective immediately, Metro will make masks optional on Metrorail, Metrobus and MetroAccess for its customers. Masks also will be optional for Metro employees. This change comes as a result of the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) suspending enforcement, while the Biden Administration reviews a federal judge’s ruling.
“Our mask mandate has been based on federal guidance,” said General Manager and Chief Executive Officer Paul J. Wiedefeld. “We will continue to monitor this situation as it unfolds, but masks will be optional on Metro property until further notice.”
Metro encourages its customers to make decisions that are in their best interests. Updates will be provided as new information becomes available.
Ridership on Metrorail, Metrobus and MetroAccess has steadily increased over the last few months as customers return to work environments and enjoy leisure activities throughout the region. Metro encourages all customers to be mindful of the following tips to maximize their experience:
- See Something, Say Something – Report suspicious activity to MTPD by texting MY-MTPD (69-6873) or calling 202-962-2121.
- Metro can help you plan - Use our Trip Planner to help you determine the best route to your destination.
- Determine when your train or bus will arrive - Use Next Arrivals for real-time Metrorail or Metrobus arrival times to minimize wait times on station platforms and at bus stops.
- Give yourself additional time - Allow an additional five to seven minutes in your travel plans to avoid missing your train or bus.
- Go Mobile – SmarTrip for iPhone and Android makes paying for Metro easy. Download our app, then tap & go wherever you use SmarTrip - for Metrobus, Metrorail or parking.