Metro service plans for July 4, 2020
Metro today announced service plans for July 4, 2020, including extended service at selected stations following the Salute to America fireworks display on the National Mall. While it is not known how many visitors will attend the event due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, all indications are that crowds will be much lighter than in past years. However, because the event may result in a modest increase in Metro’s ridership versus current levels, Metro will run more frequent trains and extend service beyond 9 p.m. at designated stations closest to the National Mall.
Customers are reminded that Metro cannot guarantee that social distancing will be possible at all times. Trains and stations may become crowded, and those planning to attend should consider all of their transportation options prior to traveling. Off-peak fares will be in effect all day, and parking will be free at all Metro-operated parking garages and lots.
For the safety of Metro's frontline workforce, as well as other riders, Metro requires the wearing of cloth face coverings or masks while on the system, including all stations, platforms, trains and buses.
Service Information for July 4, 2020:
- Metrorail will open at 8 a.m. with service on a "Covid-19 weekend schedule" during daytime hours.
- More frequent service will begin on all lines at approximately 4 p.m. to accommodate the Salute to America event on the National Mall.
- The following stations near the National Mall will remain open for "entry only" for 30 minutes after the conclusion of the fireworks display:
- L’Enfant Plaza
- Federal Triangle
- Metro Center
- McPherson Sq
- Farragut West
- Foggy Bottom
- Farragut North
- Gallery Place
- After 9 p.m., most other stations will only be available for "exit only." Metro will continue to run trains on all lines, in both directions until all customers have been accommodated.
- Nine Orange/Silver line stations west of Ballston are served by shuttle buses, rather than trains, due to planned summer construction work. (Shuttle buses will be available at Ballston until the last train arrives)
- Arlington Cemetery remains closed for both entry and exit until further notice.
Homepage photo credit: Aimee Custis on Flickr