MEDIA ADVISORY: Metro and regional officials hold news conference ahead of summer 2019 station closures
Metro will host a news conference with Virginia and regional officials on Wednesday, May 22, at 10 a.m. to discuss this summer's closure of the six Blue and Yellow line stations south of Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport for full platform reconstruction and major station improvements. From Saturday, May 25, through Sunday, September 8, rail service south of the airport will be suspended to allow for a construction strategy that expedites work and minimizes customer inconvenience.
Metro, with support from state and local transportation agencies, has established a robust travel alternatives network to help customers navigate the rail shutdown. Travel alternatives include five free shuttle buses with free parking at three Metro stations; additional service on local Metrobus routes; convenient DASH, Fairfax Connector, and OmniRide routes; Virginia Railway Express, Amtrak and more.
The summer 2019 station closures are part of Metro's three-year Platform Improvement Project that will completely reconstruct the outdoor platforms at 20 Metrorail stations, making platforms safer and more accessible for customers with disabilities, while also addressing safety concerns and longstanding structural issues.
Additional information about the project and travel alternatives can be found at wmata.com/platforms.
- Paul J. Wiedefeld, Metro General Manager/CEO
- John Taylor Chapman, Member, Alexandria City Council
- Catherine M. Hudgins, Hunter Mill District Supervisor, Fairfax County Board of Supervisors
- Paul Malandrino, Reagan National Airport Manager, Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority (MWAA)
- Jennifer Mitchell, Director, Virginia Department of Rail & Public Transportation (DRPT)
- Paul Smedberg, Metro Board Member
- Christian Dorsey, Chair, Arlington County Board and Board Member, WMATA Board of Directors
Press conference ahead of Summer 2019 Platform Improvement Project
Braddock Rd. Metrorail Station (north end of station)
700 N. West St.
Alexandria, VA 22031
Wednesday, May 22, 2019, at 10 a.m.