Lighting improvements at three Metro stations to impact Yellow and Blue Line service January 12-13
During the weekend of January 12-13, Metro crews will work around the clock to install new, brighter LED lighting at three stations – Pentagon, Crystal City and Pentagon City - on the Yellow and Blue lines. Due to the location of the light fixtures in a narrow strip between the two tracks, the work can only be done when trains are not running. As a result, free shuttle buses will replace trains between Braddock Road and Rosslyn on both Saturday and Sunday.
Blue Line trains will operate regular weekend service between Franconia-Springfield and Reagan National Airport and between Arlington Cemetery and Largo Town Center. After Arlington Cemetery closes at 7 p.m., Blue Line service will end at Rosslyn. Yellow Line service will operate at regular weekend intervals between Huntington and National Airport only. Metro will provide free shuttle bus options for customers.
The lighting improvements are part of a $50 million capital investment to enhance visibility and safety, while reducing energy use with new state-of-the-art energy efficient LED lighting. To date, 15 stations have been completed making them six-times brighter on average.
The station closures will also allow Metro to perform additional track work, including concrete grout pad replacement, installation of radio communication cables and tunnel leak mitigation.
Metro has been working in coordination with the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority to inform airport travelers about the upcoming work. Metro selected the weekend of January 12-13, due to lighter post-holiday travel at the Reagan National Airport Station.
Customers should allow approximately 30 minutes of additional travel time for shuttle bus service.
Additional information can be found on the track work page at wmata.com.
- Pentagon, Pentagon City and Crystal City stations closed
- Free shuttle buses will be provided as follows:
- Blue Line Shuttle (No stop at National Airport) – every 5-10 minutes between Braddock Rd, Crystal City, Pentagon City, Pentagon, Rosslyn
- DC-Airport Express Shuttle – every 5-10 minutes between Reagan National Airport and L’Enfant Plaza Metro Station in Downtown DC
- Pentagon-Airport Shuttle – every 15 minutes between Reagan National Airport, Crystal City, Pentagon City, Pentagon only
- Blue Line trains will operate regular weekend service between Franconia-Springfield and Reagan National Airport and between Arlington Cemetery and Largo Town Center. After 7 p.m. trains will run between Rosslyn and Largo Town Center.
- Yellow Line trains will operate at regular weekend intervals between Huntington and Reagan National Airport only.
Traveling to/from Reagan National Airport:
From Braddock Road and points south: Use Metrorail. Blue and Yellow line trains will operate between National Airport and Franconia-Springfield and Huntington.
From Pentagon, Pentagon City or Crystal City: Take the Pentagon-Airport Shuttle from Pentagon, Pentagon City or Crystal City to Reagan National Airport.
From DC and points north: Take Metrorail to L’Enfant Plaza and transfer to DC-Airport Express Shuttle (7th & D Street exit).
Traveling to/from Arlington Cemetery:Blue Line trains will provide service between Largo Town Center and Arlington Cemetery until 7 p.m. each day. There will be no service to/from points south (e.g. Pentagon), and no shuttle bus service at Arlington Cemetery.