Metro College Intern Program
Is Your Future Going In the Right Direction?
The Metro College Intern Program is designed to cultivate future talent through paid internships, which offer increasing levels of work experience and professional development opportunities associated with the transit industry and Metro's operational environment. The program runs approximately 12 weeks, typically June through August. All internships are based in the Washington, DC Metropolitan Area.
A sample of participating departments:
|Bus & Rail Engineering||Emergency Management||Human Resources|
|Transportation||Urban Planning||Government Relations|
- Increase knowledge base, resume growth, build communication and team work skills.
- Valuable connections and partnerships through fellow interns and the contacts obtained through WMATA.
- Opportunity to gauge whether a particular career field is right for them.
- Supplemental income during the school break.
- Exposure to a variety of career opportunities within WMATA.
- Free rides on Metrorail and Metrobus.
- Enrollment in an accredited college or university, with the student, at minimum, being a rising college sophomore.
- Major in course work aligned with the academic and functional requirements of the position for which the student has applied.
- Minimum cumulative 2.8 GPA. Additional departmental or functional requirements may apply per internship.
- Graduate students are welcome to apply.
- Students must submit an official college transcript to verify eligibility for the Metro College Intern Program.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How long is the Metro College Intern Program?
A. The Program runs approximately 12 weeks, typically between the summer months of June through August.
Q. I am a freshman, am I eligible for the program?
A. At minimum, a student must be a rising sophomore to be eligible for the program.
Q. Does the program provide housing for out of state interns?
A. WMATA does not provide housing for those participating in the program.
Q. Can I apply to more than one internship opportunity?
A. Yes, you may apply to the internships that you feel match your future career path.
Q. My college/university participates in internships for credit. Will WMATA provide/complete the necessary documents needed to complete the program?
A. Yes, although this is a paid internship you are eligible to receive college credit as well. please provide the necessary documents to the program manager at the time of hire.
Equal Opportunity Employer
WMATA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists. Our hiring process is designed to be accessible and free from discrimination.