Metro College Intern Program
The Metro College Intern Program is designed to cultivate future talent for the organization through paid internships. The internships are intended to afford students with meaningful work experience and professional development opportunities while familiarizing them with the transit industry and Metro's operational environment. All internships are in the Washington Metropolitan Area.
Benefits of the Metro College Intern Program
- Increase knowledge base, resume growth, build communication and team work skills.
- Make valuable connections and partnerships through fellow interns and the contacts obtained through WMATA.
- Opportunity to gage whether a particular career field is right for them.
- Earn supplemental income during the school break to accompany the valuable knowledge and real work experience obtained.
- Exposure to a variety of career opportunities within WMATA
- Free Ridership
Eligibility Qualifications for the Metro College Intern Program
- Minimum cumulative 2.8 GPA. Students must submit an official college transcript to verify eligibility for the Metro College Intern Program
- Enrollment in an accredited college or university, with the student, at minimum, being a rising college sophomore.
- Major in course work aligned with the academic and functional requirements of the position for which the student has applied.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How long is the Metro College Intern Program?
A. The Program runs approximately 12 weeks, typically between the summer months of June through August.
Q. I am a freshman, am I eligible for the program?
A. At minimum, a student must be a rising sophomore to be eligible for the program. (Note: prior WMATA Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) participants in good standing who are rising freshman may be considered.)
Q. Does the program provide housing for out of state interns?
A. WMATA does not provide housing for those participating in the program.
Q. Can I apply to more than one internship opportunity?
A. Yes, you may apply to the internships that you feel matches your future career path.
Q. My college/university participates in internships for credit. Will WMATA provide/complete the necessary documents needed to complete the program?
A. Yes, although this is a paid internship you are eligible to receive college credit as well. please provide the necessary documents to the program manager at the time of hire.
Q. How do I apply to the Metro College Intern Program?
A. Please visit www.wmata.com/careers to apply.
Q. I'm having trouble completing the online application. What should I do?
A. First, try using a different browser or clearing your cache. If that doesn't work, please contact 202-962-1071 option 5.
Equal Opportunity Employer
WMATA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law.