District of Columbia students may purchase SmartStudent Passes good for discounted fares on Metrorail and Metrobus, subject to the following eligibility requirements:
- Students must be under 19, except for students with disabilities, who remain eligible until they turn 22.
- Students must reside in the District of Columbia and attend a District public, charter, parochial or private school.
- Students must need to use Metrobus and Metrorail for travel to and from school and related educational activities.
- Students are certified as eligible by the District Department of Transportation (DDOT).
- Students must possess a valid Student Travel Card issued by the District Department of Transportation/Mass Transit Division. Students can obtain this card by completing a Student Metro Travel Card Application, having it signed and dated by the school principal or administrator, and submitting it to DDOT.
- Students must present a Student Travel Card when purchasing a SmartStudent Pass.
- The SmartStudent pass is good for unlimited travel within the District for a period of one month at a cost of $30 or as otherwise provided by DDOT.
SmartStudent Passes are available for sale at Metro sales offices and from the following District of Columbia schools:
- Consortium of Catholic Academies
- DuPont Park Adventist School
- Hospitality High School of Washington, DC
- Howard Road Academy Public Charter School
- Perry Street Academy Public Charter School (formally Hyde Public Charter)
- St. Anselm's Abbey School
- St. John's College High School