Capitol Heights Metrorail Station
Click on the image to view full size.
133 Central Avenue
Capitol Heights, MD 20743
- 7.2 ± acres
- The site is in Prince George’s County, Maryland, on the District of Columbia border, at Southern Avenue and Davey Street
- 21 minutes to Metro Center
There are no joint development or transit-oriented development projects currently underway on Metro's Capitol Heights station property. However, Metro worked with County and State representatives in 2006 to establish a vision (see http://www.pgxtremeteens.com/page3455.aspx for TOD in the Central Avenue corridor. Any future development of the Capitol Heights station would be expected to help implement the plan and vision as laid out in that document. Details regarding the Capitol Heights station are presented below.
- Office: To Be Determined
- Retail: To Be Determined
- Residential: To Be Determined
- The property is located within a State of Maryland designated Enterprise Zone that entitles businesses locating in the area to property tax credits, income tax credits, access to a state venture capital loan guarantee fund, and special provisions for industrial loans and incentives by Prince George's County
- The site is currently zoned as a TDOZ or Transit District Overlay Zone to allow for increased development potential. Further information may be obtained by this web link http://www.pgxtremeteens.com/page3455.aspx.
- Average weekday Metrorail ridership at this station is 4,071
- On-site Metrobuses include Routes 96, 97, A12 (Sundays), F14, U8, 24 and 25 which provide service to close-in areas of Prince George’s County and the District of Columbia
- The site includes:
Metrorail station with elevators and escalator, a combined chiller plant and traction power substation
four bus bays and a bus turnaround area
372 park-and-ride commuter surface parking spaces
a Kiss & Ride lot with 14 metered spaces, five non-metered spaces and two handicapped spaces
five taxi stand spaces and three motorcycle spaces
- Metro facilities displaced by development must be replaced on-site.
Surface parking may be replaced, for example, in a structure convenient to the station
Any construction next to the train tunnel and station would need to be coordinated with Metro requirements for adjacent construction in order to ensure the integrity of Metro facilities
- The four bus bays are at 66% capacity and need to be maintained to allow for added service to the burgeoning development in the area
The location of the bus bays and Kiss & Ride area may be realigned
Any realignments that affect the access from the adjacent roads must be closely coordinated with local and state transportation agencies and Metro
Office of Station Area Planning and Asset Management
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority
600 5th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001
Further information may be obtained from the Prince George's County Economic Development Corporation at 301-429-3044, the Town of Capitol Heights at 301-336-0626 and the Prince George's County Planning Board of the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission at 301-952-3595.
Return to list of projects