Metro News Release
For immediate release: May 20, 2013
Metro weekend rebuilding work May 24-27
Metro's multi-year rebuilding effort will continue over Memorial Day weekend, May 24 through 27, on the Red and Orange lines. Service adjustments will begin at 10 p.m. Friday and continue through system closing on Monday night.
There is no scheduled work this weekend on the Blue, Yellow or Green lines.
Metro is investing $5.5 billion to install new rail, ties, platforms, escalators, signals, lighting, communication systems, and more. It represents the largest capital investment -- and work effort -- since the system's original construction in the early 1970s.
Red Line - 10 p.m. Fri., May 24 through closing Mon., May 27
- Free shuttle buses will replace Red Line trains between Shady Grove and Twinbrook to allow for NTSB-recommended track circuit module replacement; fiber-optic cable installation; rail fastener, tie and insulator renewal; fence repairs and signage installation.
- Two stations will be closed: Shady Grove and Rockville.
- Red Line trains will operate between Twinbrook and Glenmont every 10 minutes during daytime hours, and at regular weekend intervals at other times.
- Riders using shuttle bus service from Shady Grove should allow about 20 minutes of additional travel time. Those boarding at Rockville should allow about 10 minutes of additional travel time.
- Riders who normally drive and park at Shady Grove or Rockville stations may wish to consider parking at other stations this weekend. Good options include Twinbrook, White Flint or Grosvenor.
Orange Line - 10 p.m. Fri., May 24 through closing Mon., May 27
- Free shuttle buses will replace Orange Line trains between Vienna and Ballston to allow for switch replacement, rail joint elimination, and tie and insulator renewal.
- Four stations will be closed: Vienna, Dunn Loring, West Falls Church, and East Falls Church.
- Throughout the weekend, Orange Line trains will operate between Ballston and New Carrollton at regular weekend intervals.
- Express shuttle buses will operate between Vienna and Ballston stations only (no intermediate stops). Riders using express shuttles should add about 25 minutes to their travel time.
- Local shuttle buses will operate between Vienna and Ballston with intermediate stops at Dunn Loring, West Falls Church and East Falls Church. Riders using local shuttles should add up to 40 minutes to their travel time.
Visit wmata.com for schedules, "next train" arrival information and alternate bus options. Metro riders can access this information on Metro's new mobile website by entering wmata.com into their smartphone browser. For assistance by phone, call Metro customer information at (202) 637-7000 [TTY 202-638-3780].
News release issued at 9:54 am, May 20, 2013.