Metro News Release
For immediate release: August 23, 2012
Metro advises weekend customers of major upcoming Red Line project
Several downtown stations affected September 7-9
Metro is giving customers additional notice about an upcoming weekend track work project that will result in buses replacing Red Line trains through Downtown DC over the weekend of September 7-9.
There are no Metrorail shutdowns scheduled over the upcoming Labor Day weekend, as previously scheduled work on the Green and Yellow lines was cancelled to accommodate Nationals home games throughout the weekend. Over Labor Day weekend, trains will single track on sections of the Red, Blue and Orange lines only.
The major Red Line project will begin at 10 p.m. Friday, September 7, and continue through system closing on Sunday, September 9. During this time, buses will replace Red Line trains between Dupont Circle and NoMa-Gallaudet U stations to allow for installation of new fiber optic cable for improved wireless communications, as well as track maintenance and third rail upgrades.
The following stations will be affected:
- Dupont Circle - open for rail service to/from Shady Grove only
- Farragut North - closed
- Metro Center - open for Blue/Orange line only
- Gallery Place - open for Green/Yellow line only
- Judiciary Square - closed
- Union Station - closed
- NoMa-Gallaudet U - open for rail service to/from Glenmont only
Free shuttle bus service will operate on two routes:
- Limited stop buses will operate between Dupont Circle, Metro Center, Gallery Place and NoMa-Gallaudet U stations only. Customers using limited stop buses should allow up to 30 minutes of additional travel time.
- Local buses will stop at all stations. Customers using local bus service should allow up to 50 minutes of additional travel time.
Alternate travel options
- Many Metrorail stations are also served by Metrobus routes that travel to Downtown DC. To determine the best Metrobus itinerary for your trip, use Metro's Trip Planner, select your date of travel and choose "bus only" as your travel mode.
- DC Circulator provides frequent bus service along K Street NW, connecting Farragut North and Union Station and serving bus stops within walking distance of Metro Center and Gallery Place. For additional information, visit the DC Circulator website.
- Metrorail's Green Line provides service between Fort Totten (Red Line transfer station) and Gallery Place. Customers on the eastern side of the Red Line may wish to consider using the Green Line for travel to/from Gallery Place this weekend.
The September 7-9 Red Line track work project was first announced in April 2012.
News release issued at 11:51 am, August 23, 2012.