Metro bus changes to serve BRAC relocation
Service enhancements and the new 7M route launch Aug. 8
NOTE: REX changes below will take effect August 7, 2011.
Metro will implement a new Metrobus route, 7M to run between the Pentagon and Mark Center and will enhance several other routes in anticipation of the relocation of military personnel associated with the BRAC realignment.
“In an effort to improve transit service to this portion of Northern Virginia, we have developed a service plan that will provide reliable, frequent bus service for relocated workers,” said Jack Requa, Metro’s Assistant General Manager for Metrobus.
As an added incentive, Department of Defense (DOD) employees can ride for free on select Metrobus routes in these areas simply by showing their Mark Center ID card. The program is funded by the Department of Defense and coordinated by the City of Alexandria.
Mark Center-Pentagon Line, Route 7M (NEW)
• A new weekday route between the Pentagon and Mark Center will be implemented via I-395, Seminary Road, Beauregard Street and Mark Center Drive to the new transit station at the DOD facility on Mark Center Drive, south of Seminary Road in Alexandria. Buses will operate every 10 minutes during peak periods and every 15 minutes during midday hours, with departures from the Pentagon from 5:40 a.m. to 5 p.m., and from Mark Center from 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
• The regular Metrobus fare will be charged. DOD employees boarding at the Pentagon, Mark Center or Southern Towers may ride free with their Mark Center ID on all 7M trips.
Lincolnia-North Fairlington Line, Routes 7A,E,F,Y
• Routing and schedules will not change. Routes 7A and 7F, which currently operate via Mark Center Drive seven days a week, will serve the new Mark Center Transit Station at the DOD facility on Mark Center Drive, south of Seminary Road in Alexandria.
• DOD employees boarding at the Pentagon, Mark Center or Southern Towers may ride free with their Mark Center ID on all 7A,E,F,Y trips.
Lincolnia-Park Center-Pentagon Line, Routes 7B,D,W,X Only
• Routes 7W and 7X will be changed to serve the new Mark Center Transit Station to provide peak hour transit connections between the DOD facility on Mark Center Drive and points south, as follows:
• Northbound - A.M. trips will operate the current route to Beauregard Street and Mark Center Drive, then right Mark Center Drive, left Mark Center Drive (to Seminary Road) to designated bus bay at the transit station, continue Mark Center Drive, cross Seminary Road into Southern Towers roadway, right 1st parking lot roadway, left roadway to Stratford Building, continue roadway to Sherwood Building, left exit to Seminary Road, left Seminary Road and continue current route to the Pentagon.
• Southbound - P.M. trips will operate the current route to the Southern Towers roadway at the Sherwood Building, then left exit to Seminary Road, cross Seminary Road into Mark Center Drive, serve bus stop opposite transit station, continue Mark Center Drive, right Mark Center Drive (to Beauregard Street), left Beauregard Street and continue current routes to Lincolnia/Orleans Village.
• Routes 7W,X will be changed at Southern Towers to bypass the Berkeley Building to avoid traffic congestion at the intersection of Seminary Road and Beauregard Street. Notices will be posted on the stops at the Berkeley Building notifying customers to board 7W, X at either of the other two stops at Southern Towers.
• DOD employees boarding at the Pentagon, Mark Center or Southern Towers may ride free with their Mark Center ID on all 7B,D,W, X trips only.
• Also, as part of the destination sign update for August/September 2011, the destination sign for southbound p.m. 7X trips will be changed from LINCOLNIA to ORLEANS VILLAGE.
Foxchase-Seminary Valley Line, Route 8W only
• Service will be extended from Seminary Road and Library Lane to Mark Center as follows:
• Northbound - A.M. trips will leave the Mark Center Transit Station and operate via Mark Center Drive, right Seminary Road to Library Lane and continue current route to the Pentagon.
• Southbound - P.M. trips will operate the current route to Seminary Road and Library Lane, then continue Seminary Road, left Beauregard Street, left Mark Center Drive, left Mark Center Drive (to Seminary Road) to designated bus bay at the transit station.
Barcroft-South Fairlington Line, Route 22A
• Additional peak hour short trips will be added to provide a 10 to 20 minute frequency of service between the Ballston-MU station and Barcroft to serve the DOD and State Department facilities at Arlington Hall (George Mason Drive, south of Arlington Boulevard). Eastbound 22A/ short trips to Barcroft (Four Mile Run Drive and Columbia Pike) will be scheduled to leave Ballston between 5:45 and 8:34 a.m. Westbound short trips to Ballston will be scheduled to leave Barcroft between 2:51 and 6:26 p.m.
Richmond Highway Express (REX)
The following adjustments are being made to REX Service in Fort Belvoir due to the increase in base personnel and opening of the new Fort Belvoir Community Hospital:
• Routing: The Belvoir Road gate, which currently closes at 9 p.m., will return to 24 hour operation on Aug. 7. The new hospital will open on Aug. 7. All weekday, Saturday and Sunday trips, including late evening trips currently terminating at Richmond Highway and Old Mill Road due to the 9 p.m. gate closure, will operate to and from Fort Belvoir serving the new hospital and then to Jackson Loop (the current weekday-only terminal) over the following revised route:
• Southbound – REX will operate over its current route to the intersection of Richmond Highway (U.S. Route 1) and Belvoir Road, then make a left at Belvoir Road, continue through the security gate (stop for security check of passengers as directed by guards), continue on Belvoir Road, make a right turn around the traffic circle, a right turn onto the hospital roadway, a right turn on Belvoir Road southbound, a right turn on 12th Street, a right turn on Gunston Road, a left turn on Jackson Loop (north) to terminal at Building 1425.
• Northbound – REX will operate over its current route from the Jackson Loop terminal to Gunston Road and 12th Street, then make a left at 12th Street, a left turn on Belvoir Road, a right turn around the traffic circle, a right turn onto the hospital roadway, a left turn on Belvoir Road northbound, a right turn around traffic circle, a right turn on Belvoir Road northbound, a right turn on Richmond Highway and continue on its current route to King Street Station.
• Service via Belvoir and Gunston Roads south of 12th Street, Building 1000 rear roadway, 16th Street between Belvoir and Gunston Roads, Kezia Trail and Farrell Road at the old Dewitt Hospital will be discontinued.
• Later evening weekday trips and other schedule adjustments - Two weekday northbound trips will be added leaving Fort Belvoir at 10:31 and 11 p.m. to serve late evening hospital shift workers. Weekday, Saturday and Sunday trip times will be adjusted by up to five minutes to reflect the revised routing in Fort Belvoir.
The City of Alexandria will receive a subsidy from the Department of Defense and will reimburse Metro for costs associated with free travel for employees riding the selected Metrobus routes in Northern Virginia.
News release issued at 1:44 pm, July 26, 2011.